How to set Gtk include path on a Mac build?
Thomas Beale
2014-03-07 19:17:53 UTC
I have a colleague who is trying to build our tool on Mac OSX
(Maverick). He's got to the point where the build complains about gtk.h,
due to there being no path. How should he set this path? I'd like to
tell him the accepted, proper way to do it...

thanks

- thomas

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
eiffel_software-digest-***@public.gmane.org
eiffel_software-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

Thomas Beale
2014-03-07 19:23:24 UTC
Post by Thomas Beale
I have a colleague who is trying to build our tool on Mac OSX
(Maverick). He's got to the point where the build complains about gtk.h,
due to there being no path. How should he set this path? I'd like to
tell him the accepted, proper way to do it...
More info:

GTK is installed using brew, so it lives in
/usr/local/Cellar/gtk+/2.24.22/include/gtk-2.0

The error is "gtk/gtk.h" file not found

- thomas

------------------------------------

Emmanuel Stapf
2014-03-11 18:37:29 UTC
In theory you should have the program `pkg-config' in your path, if not then you
will get some issues compiling EiffelVision2 based program.

Once you have added it to your path, then everything should be working fine. I've
never used brew so I'm not sure where things get installed.

To see if it really works, type the following command:

pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

Manu
I have a colleague who is trying to build our tool on Mac OSX
(Maverick). He's got to the point where the build complains about
gtk.h, due to there being no path. How should he set this path? I'd
like to tell him the accepted, proper way to do it...
GTK is installed using brew, so it lives in
/usr/local/Cellar/gtk+/2.24.22/include/gtk-2.0
The error is "gtk/gtk.h" file not found
- thomas
------------------------------------
Eiffel Software
http://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: http://support.eiffel.com
User group: http://groups.eiffel.com/join
Yahoo Groups Links
------------------------------------

Peter Gummer
2014-03-11 22:05:45 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Stapf
In theory you should have the program `pkg-config' in your path, if not then you
will get some issues compiling EiffelVision2 based program.
Once you have added it to your path, then everything should be working fine. I've
never used brew so I'm not sure where things get installed.
pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
Manu
I think Thomas’s colleague needs to run this command:

$ brew install pkg-config

I have Homebrew (see http://brew.sh) installed at the moment, because I’m experimenting with it for deploying EiffelVision2 applications. As discussed in the past here, MacPorts is useless for this purpose. Homebrew looks more promising because it puts fewer demands on the end users’ skills and patience.

Until a few minutes ago, the only Homebrew commands that I had run on this machine were these:

# Install Homebrew.
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/go/install)”

# Use Homebrew to install GTK+.
brew/bin/brew install gtk+

# Work around an error with Homebrew using a version of libiconv that is too old.
brew/bin/brew tap homebrew/dupes
brew/bin/brew install libiconv
brew/bin/brew link --force libiconv

At this point, I had no pkg-config:

$ which pkg-config
$ brew list
atk fontconfig gdk-pixbuf glib gtk+ icu4c libffi libtiff pixman
cairo freetype gettext gobject-introspection harfbuzz jpeg libpng pango

So I explicitly told Homebrew to install it:

$ brew install pkg-config
Warning: It appears you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
Software installed with other package managers causes known problems for
Homebrew. If a formula fails to build, uninstall MacPorts/Fink and try again.
==> Downloading https://downloads.sf.net/project/machomebrew/Bottles/pkg-config-0.28.mavericks.bottle.2.tar.gz
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring pkg-config-0.28.mavericks.bottle.2.tar.gz
🍺 /usr/local/Cellar/pkg-config/0.28: 10 files, 604K
$ brew list
atk fontconfig gdk-pixbuf glib gtk+ icu4c libffi libtiff pixman
cairo freetype gettext gobject-introspection harfbuzz jpeg libpng pango pkg-config
$ which pkg-config
/usr/local/bin/pkg-config
$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
2.24.22

Note the warning about MacPorts. Yes, it’s true, I do have MacPorts installed (because EiffelStudio requires it). I’ve temporarily hidden MacPorts from my bash shell by removing /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin from my PATH in order to try Homebrew. This is, in theory, a risky thing to do because although adjusting the PATH is sufficient to select one or the other package manager, there is always the risk that some package might notice all the goodies in /opt/local or /usr/local and try to be “helpful” by using the wrong package manager.

- Peter Gummer

------------------------------------

Peter Gummer
2014-03-11 23:10:45 UTC
Post by Peter Gummer
# Use Homebrew to install GTK+.
brew/bin/brew install gtk+
# Work around an error with Homebrew using a version of libiconv that is too old.
brew/bin/brew tap homebrew/dupes
brew/bin/brew install libiconv
brew/bin/brew link --force libiconv
Oops, typo there. On each of the above lines, “brew/bin/brew” should be simply “brew”, like this:

# Use Homebrew to install GTK+.
brew install gtk+

# Work around an error with Homebrew using a version of libiconv that is too old.
brew tap homebrew/dupes
brew install libiconv
brew link --force libiconv

- Peter Gummer